Tuesday, March 21, 2017

[Review] Black Hearts, by: Karina Halle

Sins Duet #1

BLACK HEARTS

by: Karina Halle
Release Date: February 19th, 2017
Read Date: March 19th, 2017
Format: Kindle Edition
Pages: 238

For Vicente Bernal, truth is all he’s known. The son of an infamous drug lord, Vicente was born to help run the family business, which means he’s been raised on a throne of sordid pasts and dirty laundry, violence and pride. But when Vicente stumbles across someone he’s not supposed to know about – a woman from his father’s checkered past – he sets out to California to find her behind his father’s back.

What Vicente doesn’t expect to find in San Francisco is Violet McQueen, the woman’s twenty-year old daughter. Beautiful and edgy with a vulnerability he can’t resist, Violet tempts Vicente from afar and though he promised himself he’d stay away from her, curiosity and lust are powerful forces. Besides, Vicente has always gotten everything he wants – why shouldn’t he have Violet too?

Soon his wants turn into an obsession, one that sweeps Violet into his games as they fall madly, deeply in love with each other, the type of first love that can drive a person mad.

But it’s a love with tragic consequences.

Both the truth – and the lies – not only threaten to tear them apart, but threaten their very lives.

Someone has to pay for the sins of the fathers.

And they’ll be paying the price with their souls.

MY RATE

I devour this book so fast that I wanted to go straight for the second book, but I remembered that I actually have a life and had to study a little, which sucks. I still haven't read second book, but there will be a chance this week for me to read it, there's no other choice.I have to finish this story. That's how good it was.

Going in a little background, this duology comes from other two series that I have not read, but these books can stand alone by themselves (they give you a background in it, so chill). You know, the story goes that the kids fall in love but their parents kind of hate each other, so its like payback or karma. Well, the thing is that the guy is the son of El Jefe of a mexican cartel and the girl is the daughter of a con artist. The girl has always lived in a house full of lies because neither her mom or dad told her or her brother everything and all was founded in lies. But the boy is a different story, he has always known and what he did not was the existence of this other family, till karma happens.

Vicente and Violet are... I would say opposites, but they are not, they are kind of similar, but different in ways that I cannot pinpoint now. Their stories entwines so much, that there's nowhere to go just into the mess they created. What I did hated of the book was that Vicente was NOT fully clear with Violet, he had the chance but he did not took it. And that will be his fall in the next book, or so I think, I'll see when I read it.

What I do have to criticize A LOT, because I HATE this happening, is the Spanish. You all know that my first language is Spanish, so I get really annoyed when an author uses it WRONG. The advice that I will always give... Search for someone to check it, revise it, correct it. Please and thank you.

Basically this book was almost perfect, I would give it five stars if it wasn't for the Spanish. As I said, I will definitely read book number two ASAP. Read me later!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!