Saturday, January 28, 2017

[Review] The Great Gatsby, by: F. Scott Fitzgerald

THE GREAT GATSBY

by: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Published Date: April 10th, 1925
Read Date: January 22nd, 2017
Format: Paperback
Pages: 180

THE GREAT GATSBY, F. Scott Fitzgerald’s third book, stands as the supreme achievement of his career. This exemplary novel of the Jazz Age has been acclaimed by generations of readers. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan, of lavish parties on Long Island at a time when The New York Times noted “gin was the national drink and sex the national obsession,” it is an exquisitely crafted tale of America in the 1920s.

The Great Gatsby is one of the great classics of twentieth-century literature.

MY RATE


I always thought about reading this book. For a long time now. When the opportunity came up to make a extensive paper of it, I was totally in. I fell in love with the DiCaprio's movie, so I was kind of obvious to actually love everything about the book.

The book is so... not dark, but it has this vibe that every words makes you want to think why it was chosen. Why the author is describing this people like he is and why they said things so puzzling. But his words, also, makes you feel like you are in there. That you are in that party, feeling what everyone else is. The book makes you happy, sad, but at end leaves you with this feeling of bittersweetness and it makes me mad. I am a sucker for happy endings and not one person end up happy in this book (I do not count Tom).

I feel so sad for Gatsby. He always had this hope and it crushed my heart. I am always a hopeful person, and seeing someone like me ending the worst way possible is concerning. I feel sad for Nick too. He was very hopeful when he arrived to New York and everything went to shit. I am sure his life did not end up how he pictured and that is sad.

Either way, I loved the book. I made me feel like no other classic had. I wish there was more, but I believe Gatsby story was as it was supposed to be. See? Totally bittersweet.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!