Saturday, May 28, 2016

[Double Review] Spanish Lessons & Lessons in Gravity, by: Jessica Peterson

Spanish Lessons
(Study Abroad #1)
by: Jessica Peterson

★★★★☆

Vivian Bingley has big plans for her semester abroad in Spain...

Along with her BFF, Maddie, Vivian hopes to indulge her inner Art History nerd by visiting the best museums in the world. She also wants to tackle more practical concerns—like a less than stellar GPA in her major, Economics—with the help of a Spanish tutor.

But falling for her studly Spanish tutor definitely isn't one of them.

Madrileño Rafa Montoya is the stuff study abroad dreams are made of: super studly and super smart. He also happens to be super into Vivian. With his wicked dancing skills and his passion for the arts, he tempts her to throw caution to the wind and live out her wildest dreams.

Only problem? Maddie wants Rafa, too, and Vivian promised herself she’d never settle for second best again…not after a hookup-gone-awry last semester left her heartbroken. Is it best for Vivian to protect her heart at all costs? Or is letting Rafa in worth the risk?

Lessons in Gravity
(Study Abroad #2)
by: Jessica Peterson

★★★★☆

Maddie Lucas is only looking for a one night stand…

While studying in Spain for her semester abroad, Maddie hopes to escape the drama surrounding her parents’ divorce—a divorce she may or may not have caused—while researching Spanish architecture for her thesis. And if she hooks up with hot Madrileños along the way? All the better.

But handsome Spaniard Javier Montoya wants so much more.

Guitarist Javier is ready to set aside his rock star ways and settle down for good with his gorgeous ex-girlfriend. But after a one night stand with sexy, passionate Maddie blossoms into genuine friendship, he begins to wonder if Maddie might be the forever girl he’s looking for.

Too bad Maddie believes forever is more fiction than fairy tale. Can Javier prove to her that fairy tales exist? Or is Maddie right to think she doesn’t deserve happily ever after?

What really caught my attention of this series was the first book title... Spanish Lessons. If you are new to my blog, you may not know, but my first language is Spanish. In general, I love languages (which I really don't know how I didn't make my BA in it) and any time that I see a book that may have more than one, has me excited to read it. But when it comes to Spanish, my language, it drives me nuts to read it. To see how bad or good or average the author portrait my language. That's basically why I read the book, but also the fact that it was in Spain did it all to me to actually read it asap.

Vivian flew the Atlantic ocean to be in Spain. Yeah, yeah, to study Economics. But destiny had other things in her future. A cute guy. A change of major. A new life. Love. You know, simple things. Then Vivian notices that fate wanted other things than her initial plan, so she opted to fight everything. She denied herself the fact that she was totally head over heels for the Madrileño, Rafael. She kept saying that Economics wasn't her passion, but she still kept going because it was going to bring her a better future. Rafael has his thoughts clear. He wants Vivian and he wants everything to do with her, even when she denies her love to him.

Maddie has a different story. She came to Spain with a broken heart. Her family fell apart and her only rock is Vivian, until Javier comes aboard her sinking ship. Javier was the typical rock star, until he didn't want that life anymore. Coming back to Spain looking the love of his life (who has a boyfriend now) and settle, but then fate puts Maddie in front of him. These two denies each other almost till the end. They loved each other from the first moment their eyes crashed. But who am I to tell them that? They have to discover that for themselves!

Seriously, these two books were my highlight of my last days of classes. They were my relief when physics was everything I was thinking on. I really enjoy reading them. The culture of Madrileños is fascinating. I saw so many things that I actually know what they are. Like churros, albóndigas, sangría, vino, among other things. I just love everything about Spain.

Now, the Spanish. I really don't have much to say because it was really good. The author did her research pretty good (or had a good beta reader). My only concern was the phrase "Al dentro!". Is supposed to me "to inside" or something like that in English. But it's written incorrectly. It should say "Para adentro!". But I let it pass, because everything was really good. I got no complaints.

So, yeah, overall I like them very much. I think there will be another book, but I am not sure. And I may not read it because it would be about Laura and I don't want to read her story. So, yeah, good time reading these books, but enough for now. Read me later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!