Wednesday, March 16, 2016

[R] Death and the Girl Next Door, by: Darynda Jones

Death and the Girl Next Door
(Darklight #1)
by: Darynda Jones

★★★★½

Sophomore Year Was Never Supposed to be This Complicated
Ten years ago, Lorelei McAlister's parents disappeared without a trace, and she is finally beginning to accept the fact that they're never coming back. Life must go on. She's got her grandparents and the support of her best friends, and high school is not quite as painful as she thought it would be.

But This is What Happens When You Fall for the Angel of Death.

Until the day the school's designated loner, Cameron Lusk, begins to stalk her, turning up where she least expects it, standing outside her house in the dark, tough, sexy Jared Kovach - comes to school. Cameron and Jared instantly despise each other, and Lorelei seems to be the reason for their animosity.

Life as She Knows it is About to Change Forever.

What does Jared know about her parents? Why does Cameron tell Jared he can't have Lorelei? And what will any of them do when Death comes knocking for real? Thrilling, sassy, sexy, and inventive, Death and the Girl Next Door proves Darynda Jones is a force to be reckoned with.

my thoughts

First of all, these series had been in my bookshelves for AGES and FINALLY I picked them up to start reading. Which, btw & tbh, I really don't know what I was waiting for. Then, I have to admit that the book was kinda cliché, but then not at all. But most of all, the book was HILARIOUS!

The whole story of Death falling in love, not wanting to kill her and she having a guarding angel that is constatly fighting against the Death boyfriend... everything is cliché. But the thing that she is a prophet, that her friends/family/the whole town support her, and that she may have to save the world against demons and evil spirits AND having a demon inside of her... THAT IS TOTALLY NEW. Oops, sorry, spoilers!

I really dig the whole book and if it wasn't for my classes fault I would have finish the whole book in one sitting, but duty calls. Anyways, Death being one of the characters have always being a weakness of mine. No matter how the author portraits him, it will always be my favorite character. And even more when he is dark, handsome, evil/good, deadly.... and HAWT. But on the other hand, we have the fucking love triangle. I hate them and I always will. I'm not sure this book actually has one, but common, 3 boys and 2 girls in the circle of friends... is bound to have one, right?

As I told you, this book was simply HILARIOUS! The friendship between Lorelei, Brooklyn and Casey, aka Glitch, is #Goals. They are more siblings than friends. And the nemesis between Jared and Cameron is annoying at some points, but totally laughable much of the times. I kind of hate that Lor doesn't have a kind of power to zap them every time they are going to fight, for real.

Anyways, the book was really damn awesome (except for the clichés). If you haven't read it, don't be like me and wait for almost the 10th anniversary. Be in the now and read the goddamned book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!