Sunday, January 10, 2016

[R] Kiss of Broken Glass, by: Madeleine Kuderick

Kiss of Broken Glass
by: Madeleine Kuderick

★★★★★

In the next 72 hours, Kenna may lose everything—her friends, her freedom, and maybe even herself. One kiss of the blade was all it took to get her sent to the psych ward for 72 hours. There she will face her addiction to cutting, though the outcome is far from certain.

When fifteen-year-old Kenna is found cutting herself in the school bathroom, she is sent to a facility for a mandatory psychiatric watch. There Kenna meets other kids like her—her roommate, Donya, who's there for her fifth time; the birdlike Skylar; and Jag, a boy cute enough to make her forget her problems . . . for a moment.

Madeleine Kuderick's gripping debut is a darkly beautiful and lyrical novel in verse, perfect for fans of Sonya Sones and Laurie Halse Anderson. Kiss of Broken Glass pulses with emotion and lingers long after the last page.

my thoughts


Okay, let's get something out of the way first. This book WAS in my TBR list even before it came out. Somehow goodreads remove it from such list and I kind of forgot about it. Then, the other day I was talking to a friend and I told him that I knew a book that was totally written in verse. My mind keep wondering which book was and I couldn't find it, until yesterday. After finishing a book, I wanted something kind of short and beautiful. Browsing in my iPad, I found it. I read it. Finished this morning and now you are reading this.

Did you get the part that the WHOLE book is written in VERSE. Yeah well, I love it just for it. Because what a creative thing to write now a days. Plus, it is about cutting, which I haven't read books about it. The book is dark, but totally beautiful.

Kenna struggles with cutting. I don't think she has depression or anything. She cuts herself, because she wants to fit in a group of friends, because there not so much else do it and because really, who cares? Getting caught was basically the best thing for her. It made her think. It made her see what really happens around her. It made her see that others has it worst than her. But, clearly, made her see that she has things to move on, to fight for.
“Silent sobbing. No one sees.Weeping like the willow trees.Feel my heart about to pop.Need to make the aching stop.See moon's shimmer softly pass.On the shards of broken glass.”
I cannot express how beautiful this book is. You just has to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!