Sunday, January 3, 2016

[R] Adulting: How to Become a Grown-up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps, by: Kelly Williams Brown

Adulting: How to Become a Grown-up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps
by: Kelly Williams Brown

★★★★★

If you graduated from college but still feel like a student . . . if you wear a business suit to job interviews but pajamas to the grocery store . . . if you have your own apartment but no idea how to cook or clean . . . it's OK. But it doesn't have to be this way.
Just because you don't feel like an adult doesn't mean you can't act like one. And it all begins with this funny, wise, and useful book. Based on Kelly Williams Brown's popular blog, ADULTING makes the scary, confusing "real world" approachable, manageable-and even conquerable. This guide will help you to navigate the stormy Sea of Adulthood so that you may find safe harbor in Not Running Out of Toilet Paper Bay, and along the way you will learn:

What to check for when renting a new apartment-Not just the nearby bars, but the faucets and stove, among other things.
When a busy person can find time to learn more about the world- It involves the intersection of NPR and hair-straightening.
How to avoid hooking up with anyone in your office -- Imagine your coworkers having plastic, featureless doll crotches. It helps.
The secret to finding a mechanic you love-Or, more realistically, one that will not rob you blind.
From breaking up with frenemies to fixing your toilet, this way fun comprehensive handbook is the answer for aspiring grown-ups of all ages.


my thoughts


Let me say this short thing about me first. I'm a twenty-one woman who doesn't know what the fuck she is gonna do in her life. Since I was twenty, I didn't know what to do with it. This book cleared so many things. I still don't know what the fuck to do, but I have a start and I will seek more help along the way, this book taught me how.

I started this book with zero expectations and came out with a lot of good advices and a lot of laughs at our true life. Adulting is scary, but if you really think about... no one is a complete perfect adult. WE learn every day how to be or act in certain situations. We are all a trial-and-error things!

See some things I high-lighted from the book:

  • Step 10: Be okay with being alone. -- Which is totally hard for me, but I'm getting the hang of it. Because, well, I have to like myself first, right?
  • Step 12: Distinguish between horses and zebras. In other words, the simplest explanation is problably -not always, but problably- the correct one. -- I have to take this advice to heart.
  • Step 57: If your friends help you move, you owe them pizza and beer. -- And if I return the favor, they will too, right? Of course!
  • Step 71: Until you are a good cook, follow recipes.
  • Step 87: Remember that the outside world only sees your outermost layer. -- Thank YOU very much.
  • Step 88: Watch ya mouth. Just because there is an idea bouncing around in your head does not mean it need to be sent into the universe.-- I need this to take it by heart. I need to watch my fucking mouth!
  • Step 89: Be aware of local, national, and world events. But just it isn't my favorite topic of conversation does not excuse me from the responsibility of knowing what's going on in places besides my head.
  • Step 104: Don't comment on things people are; comment on things people do. -- I didn't know this was a thing until I read. Now, I should change my tactics.
  • Step 113: Be interesting!
  • Step 117: Imagine rude people as jellyfish.
  • Step 119: Accept that some people are just jerks. Some people have blond hair. Some people are really good at baseball. Some people find nothing more pleasurable than organizing a drawer full of buttons. Some people are assholes. This is the human spectrum.
    • Lord, grant me the serenity to ignore the assholes I cannot avoid; The luck to avoid the ones I can; And the self-awareness not to be one myself.
  • Step 125: Know when to drop the banana. --- She meant the topic, but banana works better. Seriously, some people need to know when to drop it.
  • Step 209: Put away ten dollars per pay period in savings. -- I'm gonna do this!
  • Step 214: Do not ignore a bill.
  • Step 215: Pay your bills on time. Pay your bills on time. Pay your bills on time.
  • Step 293: Be nice to new people.
  • Step 309: Tell your friends the truth about important things. If they opened the Pandora's box, chances are they want a look inside.
  • Step 335: Don't be unkind to someone because they're interested in you. Be flattered, be kind. But don't lead them on.
  • Step 451: If you are living with your parents, they control what happens under their roof. They do not control you.
  • Step 468: Recognize that family is like love -- a huge pain in the ass that's worth it a million times over.
This book was the shit. As you can see, it helps with a lot of things and more. For now on (until my thirties), this book will be my guide in life. Soon my life will be changing and all this help will be necessary.

I recommend this book so much that I want to buy like 10 copies and give it away to those who I know they need it. It makes you laugh and at the same time, understand that its true and you have to change some things because you are an adult now. Act like it, because fake it until you make it. Read this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!