Friday, January 23, 2015

[R] Defy, by: Sara B. Larson

Defy
(Defy #1)
by: Sara B. Larson

5 of 5 stars

Alexa Hollen is a fighter. Forced to disguise herself as a boy and serve in the king's army, Alex uses her quick wit and fierce sword-fighting skills to earn a spot on the elite prince's guard. But when a powerful sorcerer sneaks into the palace in the dead of night, even Alex, who is virtually unbeatable, can't prevent him from abducting her, her fellow guard and friend Rylan, and Prince Damian, taking them through the treacherous wilds of the jungle and deep into enemy territory.

The longer Alex is held captive with both Rylan and the prince, the more she realizes that she is not the only one who has been keeping dangerous secrets. And suddenly, after her own secret is revealed, Alex finds herself confronted with two men vying for her heart: the safe and steady Rylan, who has always cared for her, and the dark, intriguing Damian. With hidden foes lurking around every corner, is Alex strong enough to save herself and the kingdom she's sworn to protect?


my thoughts

I don't like to compare, but this book was a combination between Mulan meets Poison Study. Holy Baby Jesus! The book was so so good that I devour it in a few hours and I did not do that in well, some quite time. I seriously fly through the pages as if they weren't nothing [336 pages]. I assure you that it was that good.
“You knew I was a girl and you stil came out to talk to me in the middle of the night without a shirt on?" I shot right back.
"You did
what?" Rylan cut in, his eyes wide.”
As the blur says, the story is about Alexa Hollen. A young girl that after she saw her parents being murdered, her brother [Marcel] took the decision of transforming her in a boy, so they wouldn't tear them apart from each other. The young "boys" entered to the army and they were so good fighting that made it to the Prince guards. That's when exactly begins the whole journey. Their job is to protect Prince Damian, even over their lives. So, when things are threating it Alexa, now being Alex, must do anything in her hand to save him. But Damian has secrets... Then Damian, Alexa and her fellow friend Rylan are kidnapped, but its really a kidnapping? How can you protect someone that you don't trust? But there is another tricky part, fate summons love and its around them. Tricky, ugh?
“I didnt care how handsome he was or how he made my heart race, the next time that he came to drag me out of my tent in the middle of the night, I was rolling over and ignoring him.”
Oh, I loved the characters, my favorite one being Alexa. She is so badass. Like of all the guards, she is the best one. She is short, seventeen and is a SHE! Still beat the hell out of the others, so TAKE THAT assholes. But OH! I did love the male characters, being Damian my favorite, but Rylan needs a supporting character award. Those both men, made my skin crawl every time they begin talking about how much they love Alexa. SERIOUSLY! Can one of you be for me? I'm so jealous of these badasses characters that have the best men and they still putting the greater good as a #1 priority. Girl, have some love someday or if not, lead the boys to me.
“You're perfect," He said roughly, cutting off my protest. "And if I had to do it over again, I would save you every time." His mouth closed over mine and there was no more thought. No more worry. No more pain or loss or fear. There was only Damian. His arm tightened around me, crushing me to him. I clung to him as his lips moved on mine with a need and hunger that nearly overwhelmed me.”
Fellas! You need to read this book! It has magic, war, drama, romance, fantasy, mystery, suspense... everything! Sorry for being so shouty, but its really good. I know you will not regret reading this because its very good. READ IT!

“True beauty is what lies inside of us, not what the world sees. A beautiful shell that houses a vile soul becomes sullied over time. But an outer shell, imperfect as it may be, that houses a beautiful, shines with that beauty, radiating it for all who have eyes to see.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!