Saturday, December 13, 2014

[R] Winter Town, by: Stephen Emond

Winter Town
by: Stephen Emond

★★★★☆

Every winter, straight-laced, Ivy League bound Evan looks forward to a visit from Lucy, a childhood pal who moved away after her parent's divorce. But when Lucy arrives this year, she's changed. The former "girl next door" now has chopped dyed black hair, a nose stud, and a scowl. But Evan knows that somewhere beneath the Goth, "Old Lucy" still exists, and he's determined to find her... even if it means pissing her off.

Garden State meets Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist in this funny and poignant illustrated novel about opposites who fall in love.


my thoughts

I learned of the existence of this book last year, around this time of the year and I promise myself that I would buy it and read on December... to get in the mood. It was worth it, because reading it other than this month would have been a failure. I haven't really think about this book, but I really really love all the doodles and comics. They give you an insight of whats happening emotionally in the story and I dunno, it make me sad sometimes, but it really help my imagination.

This is the story of two best friends from early years, Evan and Lucy. Evan is basically the person son, student and friend, but Lucy is all the contrary. Let's say that her family is not the perfect one and their problems affect to the point of not wanting to continue building her future. After her parents divorced, she moved to Georgia with her mom, but every year on Christmas she would back to New England (to her dad's house) and hang out with Evan. This year was different, Lucy is different and Evan is trying to find out what changed. But Evan is different too and Lucy is trying to show Evan how much he has changed while trying to hide her life from Georgia. AS you see, this is the recipe of ultimate disaster.

Not going to spoiler anything, but you will learn at least something about the book. What I learned is mine and what you will learn is yours, that simple. I love the characters, the scenes, THE DOODLES, Evan and in part but not much Lucy. My favorite character is hands down Evan's grandma, and I'm sure you will love her a bunch.
"There are many bends in that path that you couldn't possibly even know about. Life throws so many curveballs, the tinniest little decision can change everything. And it's not always your decision, either. You just never know."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!