Thursday, December 25, 2014

[R] Love and Other Foreign Words, by: Erin McCahan

Love and Other Foreing Words
by: Ein McCahan

5 stars

Can anyone be truly herself--or truly in love--in a language that's not her own?

Sixteen-year-old Josie lives her life in translation. She speaks High School, College, Friends, Boyfriends, Break-ups, and even the language of Beautiful Girls. But none of these is her native tongue -- the only people who speak that are her best friend Stu and her sister Kate. So when Kate gets engaged to an epically insufferable guy, how can Josie see it as anything but the mistake of a lifetime? Kate is determined to bend Josie to her will for the wedding; Josie is determined to break Kate and her fiancé up. As battles are waged over secrets and semantics, Josie is forced to examine her feelings for the boyfriend who says he loves her, the sister she loves but doesn't always like, and the best friend who hasn't said a word -- at least not in a language Josie understands.

my thoughts

If I can put my words together. And I still don't know what to write about this book. It affected me, like really deep. I saw myself in so many ways in this book that its actually scary. I have fallen in love with this book and I may never get up from the floor. Will I have an Stu to help? That's still a mystery.

“I think I'm nostalgic for a time I never experienced.”

The story is as simple and as difficult how it shows in the blur. Our main character is Josie, a fifteen (almost sixteen, in the beggining) girl that its "gifted", meaning with a higher IQ than averange kids. She goes to highshool, but take classes in college too. Her life spins around languages, how to translate words back and forth and obviously, learning new things which always amazing for her. The love of her life, like literally, is her family and friends, that includes her sister Kate. The whole book spins around Kate, her and the nature of love. Kate is going to marry someone that somehow Josie doesn't approved (you will see), but more deep the problem is finding that love is not a science and you can overthink something like it.

“I'm not entirely sure there is a formula for this,' I say. But I wish there were.”

Some how I ALWAYS knew how it would end the story, but I read it anyway because the journey was perfect. How she directed me to the right way was totally a mystery to me. But from the beginning you can see the end, but oh so good how Josie became to knowing everything that you already knew and she couldn't see.

“Good becomes perfect, but perfect is an illusion. And illusions are like all spells—temporary and soon broken. And when that happens, feelings change.”

Its a quick, sweet and soft story to read. I don't know I picked Christmas day to read it, but I didn't mind. A festive day full of love, that's exactly waht you want to read. I do recommend it, you wopefully* like it.

“Come dance with me," he says, taking my hand, and someday I'll explain to him that I already am.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!