Friday, May 23, 2014

[R] Cinder, by: Marissa Meyer

Cinder
(The Lunar Chronicles #1)
by: Marissa Meyer

★★★★★

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

my thoughts

First things first. This book, as you may notice in my read date, its been quite some time from when I did. Because of reasons I haven't made the review, but its time. I already read all the books that are out of this series and if I need to wait for the last book... why not review the others? Maybe I will not be detailed, because of time, but who knows.

This book, this series, has been in my to-read list for a long time, years for what I can tell. So, one day in one of my many visits to internet websites that sell books, I stop at Book Outlet. The site is incredible because it have all the books I wanted in a low price! BUT the shipping was totally too much, still, I bought some and Cinder was one of them. A paperback copy, but either way I love it. It was the book I need when I read it.

In a very futuristic vision, Marissa Meyer, show us what our life would be if people live in the moon, if robots were a real thing and if cyborgs (like the I, Robot cyborg) were real too. This is the first book in the Lunar Chronicles series and it spins around a character that have the same name as the book, Cinder.

As you may heard these books are based in fairytales and you may had read in the sypnosis, Cinder is the retelling of Cinderella. One of the things I liked about the book is that its divided in parts and before each one, it gives you an important part from the original fairytale. And each "quote" reflects something that it will happen in the book. Talking about the fairytale, we know that the main character have this ruthless stepmother, two stepsisters and her beloved father dead. Well, you can point that out in this book too. Her stepmother is totally ruthless, that only cares about herself and the future of her own daughters, and on top of all doesn't do anything for Cinder. Her stepsisters... well, here is a different story because we learned that in Cinderella, those were indifferent with her, but here; Cinder loves them both and you could say viceversa, but not both of them. Both sisters are totally different, one similar to her mom and the other like her dad. About the father, well in this case, he was not the real father of Cinder, but he adopt her and love her like he was.

What I haven't tell you is that Cinder is a cyborg. And what does that mean? It means that her body is not totally human, that she have parts that are robotic. In fact she is 37% less human, that includes a foot, a hand, eyes and other parts. Why is she a cyborg? What I do can tell you is that she had an accident way long time ago and to survive the doctors made her one. Other thing that I haven't told you is that she is one of the best mechanical in her kingdom. YES! She lives in a kingdom ruled by an emperor and guess what? There is a prince! His name is Kai... and guess another thing? There was love at first sight there! Or that is what I think whenever I replay that scene in my mind.

The story is more complicated than the wish of go to a ball or even to find animals to make the dress to go. This story is about Cinder and finding herself, from where she comes and what reach what she most want... freedom. But this futuristic world, there's a plague and no one is secure of not acquire it, except Cinder. Somehow she is inmune, and its up to you to know why.

Characters I Love: 
  • Kai, because he was so sweet with Cinder and with whoever. That no matter that he was a prince, he is humble and threat you with the respect everyone deserves, even if you are a cyborg or an android. 
  • Iko, because she is the best android someone can wish for. I mean, she was totally a pain in the ass sometimes, but she was still the best. 
  • Peony, because no matter that she got sick in the first chapters, we see how deeply she cared of Cinder and how much she represents for her, a real sister.
Characters I Love by Hating them:
  • Adri, who is Cinder's stepmother, I hate her so much because she has what Cinder cannot: freedom, love, among other things. 
  • Queen Levana, because she is the worst antagonist I have read in my life. I have read a lot, and she will be in my top one for a long time. If my greatest fear would have a face, hers would be the one. Plus, she is so "arg"! I love to hate her.
Finally, I recommend this book hands down, eyes closed to whomever wants a really good book and who wants to learn from it more than just pass the time. Cinder inspire us to continue, to move on and to make what you think is good, what really matters and over all to do good. Marissa Meyer, I give you a standing ovation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!