Monday, December 16, 2013

[R] Imaginary Girls, by: Nova Ren Suma

Imaginary Girls
by: Nova Ren Suma

★★★½☆

Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be captured or caged. When a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby.

But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns to town two years later, deadly surprises await. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.


Wait, wait, wait... I don't get it. Did I really finished this book? I think that the book left me with more questions than when I started the book. I didn't understood half of it. I'm so confused.

Trying to recall why I bought the book... I didn't because of the synopsis or the title or even the author. I bought it because of the cover. I know its not something you wanted to know, but hey, its true. The cover is beautiful, you can see it, but what if I tell you that the girl in the picture is dead, like drown? It makes you want to read it, right? That was my thinking, but I was so wrong.

I do not regret buying the book and not fully liking it. The writing was good and it have good characters, but... I didn't like too many things. The way of how the narrator, which is Chloe, talks and describes everything. How she was curious, but she didn't ask or even try to resolve what was happening. How dumb she was on not realizing everything at all. How childlike of her to think that maybe one that Ruby, who at the ends its dead, will come back and make jokes about time passed and all.

Talking about Ruby, let's describe her. I got no words of how to call her. Maybe a siren, because everyone do whatever she wants, even Chloe. But maybe a witch who have everyone in her spell. She made a deal that couldn't hold until the end. She trade her sister's life for London and then she wanted London and Chloe at the same time, so she sacrificed herself for the cause. What's up with these deals? I mean, is she doing them with the water or with the town under the water.

That's other thing... this town, Olive, is just another character too. It talks, it moves and it kills. Olive is a real, maybe not the dead people under the water watching you is true, but Olive did existed once. How a real thing become legend and then almost a myth is a mystery to me. I was very confused trying to understand the whole Olive is there watching you thing.

London Hayes. Is she a real person or a ghost? Mystery, mystery, mystery... I never got that and maybe I never will. I mean, she did disappeared a lot of times, just from thin air and smoke. Then she appeared again saying that she blacked-out. At the end, I didn't know if she was real.

Chloe. She is mental, there is no other word to describe how bad she was left after Ruby killed herself. Is weird that no body was found, but hell, the whole book is weird. Chloe still mental and maybe needing for help.

I can't... I just can't tell you if you should read the book or not. Up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!