Saturday, December 14, 2013

[R] If I Stay, by: Gayle Forman

If I Stay
(If I Stay #1)
by: Gayle Forman

★★★★★

A critically acclaimed novel that will change the way you look at life, love, and family.

In the blink of an eye everything changes. Seventeen ­year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall what happened afterwards, watching her own damaged body being taken from the wreck. Little by little she struggles to put together the pieces- to figure out what she has lost, what she has left, and the very difficult choice she must make. Heartwrenchingly beautiful, Mia's story will stay with you for a long, long time.


I'm done! I can't with this book, so many feelings came to mind. I seriously cried over the whole book. I couldn't stop the tears from falling. The sypnosis tells you about an blink-of-an-eye change, but I never thought that it was such a terrible accident. I hoped so much.
"Almost don't matter. You got to deal with the situation at hand."
Basically, the main character, Mia, was in an accident and she was left in a coma. The whole book occurs in one day, but it happens so many things. Mostly she [Mia] is telling stories and explaining things. Is like those stories that goes back and then to the present. I liked the journey, but I seriously mourned the death people. In the second chapter, they tell you that her dad and mom died instantly in the accident and it was sad. Sad, because in the whole flash-blacks, we could see how cool and awesome her parents were. Teddy, her little brother, was a secret in the whole story, because no one knew or comment about him, until the end.
"What would it be if I stay?"
The other important characters are Adam, Kim, Mia's grandparents and Willow. Let's begin with Kim. She is the best friend of Mia and from what Mia tells, they weren't friends at the begining. They friendship started after fist fight, such a weird way to make a friend.Time passed and they are like sisters. You can really see how much Kim loves Mia now that she is in coma. Willow. She is like her godmother or something like that. She is a nurse and she kick-ass in the ICU so Adam and her family could see Mia. Mia's Grandparents. Those two are like a special book apart, same with her parents (but they are dead). They just see the world from different perspectives and to be sincere, I loved more Gramps than Gran. He was the silent person who catch everything, but never comment about it.
"Either way you win. And either way you lose. What can I tell you? Love's a bitch."
Adam is Mia's boyfriend. But for me, he is more than that. He is like her soulmate. If I Stay is more like a question of herself about choosing to stay alive or pass on. The only thing that attachs her to keep living is him. His hurt and agony make her squeeze his hand. You can see the part of his monologue, how much selfish {in a good way} he is. He would do anything for her if she just stay.
"And it's while contemplating this that I think about what the nurse said. She's running the show. And suddenly I understand what Gramps was really asking Gran. He had listened to that nurse, too. He got it before I did.If I stay.If I live. It's up to me.All this business about medically induced comas is just doctor talk. It's not up to the doctors. It's not up to the absentee angels. It's not up to God who, if He exists, is nowhere around right now. It's up to me."
This is basically the whole book resumed by itself. What can I say? I loved the book and I'm going to read the second one... like now. You should too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!