Thursday, July 25, 2013

Fire Study - By: Maria V. Snyder

Fire Study (Study #3)
by: Maria V. Snyder

4.5 of 5 stars

The apprenticeship is over—now the real test has begun.

When word that Yelena is a Soulfinder—able to capture and release souls—spreads like wildfire, people grow uneasy. Already Yelena's unusual abilities and past have set her apart. As the Council debates Yelena's fate, she receives a disturbing message: a plot is rising against her homeland, led by a murderous sorcerer she has defeated before....

Honor sets Yelena on a path that will test the limits of her skills, and the hope of reuniting with her beloved spurs her onward. Her journey is fraught with allies, enemies, lovers and would-be assassins, each of questionable loyalty. Yelena will have but one chance to prove herself—and save the land she holds dear.

The book is full of action, but I still dislike things and I can't point directly. I dunno, I just didn't like so much this book, which at some time was the last of a trilogy, but now will be a series and the next books are comming soon. I wish they capture the same action as the first three. Now now, I will try to do a long review because this book is worth it. Let's see how I do.

This book story begins days later after the end of the second one, Magic Study. As I said in my last review, we did have a sneek peak of the new antagonist. I thought it was Cahil, sorry to say that I was wrong. Cahil was just an intrument, he... *sighs* I was so confussed with that character. He keeps jumping from good to bad person as the same from friend to enemy, really whats wrong with that guy? The only thing I will say about the antagonist is that you will not expect it, or maybe yes.

Let's talk about some characters. Yelena's family is very cosy. Leif, her brother, was on of her enemies at the begining of the second book, but that soon changes after he realizing that her sister still there and nothing changed. She forgive him for all the problems he cause, including the past ones. We see how brotherly he is with her. Their siblings relationship is weird, but still very sweet. He is always worries about her, but that doesn't mean that he would not let her do anything. You can say that he agrees with all and help her too. Now, Yelena's parents are very spoiling with her. They give her anything she need and without she asking them. Perl is all a mother hen and Esau is like a father, but with grandfather personality (always giving giving giving). I really like them and I was happy to see that Yelena have a family after all the suffering she passed. I really consider Janco and Ari as Yelena's brothers. They were always there for her, even when she believe that she don't need them. They were very insistent in follow her around no matter the danger. They consider her a sister who they must protect forever. So sweet!

Animals. They truly are real characters in this story. Kiki, Topaz, Garnet, Onyx, the bats, the snakes, so many! My favorite was Kiki, obviously. She was stunning, smart, protective and always ready to help. She was even more smarter than Yelena. The funny thing is that she always ask for peppermints or apples. Other animal that its truly my favorite was the little bat from the end. He really help Yelena to find the true and to escape from her fears. I still don't like bats, but I like that little one. Thank God is fictional!

Moon Man. I'm so sad and so happy about him. Certainly he did have a happy ending, but still sad for me. He was such a helpful guy. Giving the nerves to Yelena, but his riddles help her at the end. Irys and the other two Master Magicians, Bain & the chick one with the name that begins with Z, are not seen too much in this book as in the second. But they did help Yelena and they always trust her no matter what. Fisk! That little brat is the most sweetest, bravest and helpful kid in the whole story. From beggar to a business boy... what a change! Every time Yelena need help or distraction, he was ready to help. She always pay him, but no matter what he was there.

Difficult situation we have in this book. War is there and Yelena wants to stop it. Traveling from Sitia to Ixia and back again, she insists in saving the "world" around her. Making peace is not an easy job and not when the Commander Ambrose is in game. Yelena stops his moves with soft words, but he still want to attack. Thank God he didn't!

Let's talk about Valek, Yelena and Yelek (my ship name). Valek is now one of my top ten favorite fictinal character, or at least in the most badass list. He do not stop for anything, and certainly not when Yelena is in danger. Yelena is a girl always in trouble, but Valek is not too behind. Both are always in huge danger. But that's how they like it and how they love each other. Yelek is a ship so sweet and I'm so glad, so so glad that the ship didn't sink. PLUS there was not a love traingle anywhere, so glad about that. You gain a thumbs up, Ms. Snyder! But do not make a party of it. I'm very mad that the first 16 chapters (I did count them) Valek did not appear anywhere, Yelena may have mentioned him, but no appearances nor dreams nor nothing. I hate that! Plus, after he appears... you... killed...him! What was that? You really thought that I would grief for him. Valek is very powerful, how comes that you kill him with a burning cottage. Shame. Thank GOD that he survives (because, duh, he is Valek) and return to Yelena's arms. What I did like about the reviving thing was that he was very "happy". He was even making jokes. So hilarious! My favorites were: the naked one, horses running very fast to the run way and how much Janco and Topaz look alike, and that maybe they were made for each other... what an uncanny discovery! LMAO!

The full story is full of circles, as Yelena describes it. Once she were, then no more, but at the end she is what she was in the begining. Hard to explain if you have not read the book. Perhaps, you should.
xoxo, sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment your opinion, I won't bite and I always reply!